#GirlBoss

Monday, March 21, 2016

Do you guys remember that Destiny's Child song, "Independent Women" that was featured in the Charlie's Angel movie...or even that movie in general? Three kick ass women fighting crime while 3 (or were there 4 members of Destinys Child at this point?) kick ass women sung the anthem of the modern working woman. Movie magic. Seriously though, that song came out in 1999 and I was just a litte girl listening to the message that it was cool for women to support themselves and treat themselves to fancy things without needing a man's help. I mean, I was definitely too young to appreciate how deep BeyoncĂ© and crew were getting with that song, but I still have rocked out to it in the car. Fast forward 16 years and there is still nothing more inspiring to me than a strong, confident, independent woman. Political views aside, can we just talk about how freaking cool it is that there is a WOMAN who is seriously in the running for president?!?! I mean ... Think about it...100 years ago women didn't even have the right to vote and now, in 2016, there is a woman standing up in front of the entire world in a predominantly male field saying "yo bro.... I can do this!" I can't even handle it. So incredible. Personally, I like to entertain the vision of Susan B. Anthony looking down on all of us and thinking, "I mean... About time, ya fools."

So between BeyoncĂ©, Lucy Liu and HilDog, it's clear that I've been thinking about some seriously empowering humans or better yet, "Girl Bosses". For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the phrase (serious question... Do you live under a rock?), a "girl boss" is basically anyone kicks butt and takes names. The term, #GIRLBOSS, comes from an incredibly inspiring book written by NastyGal founder and CEO, Sophia Amoruso that serves as a platform for inspiring and empowering women to be the boss of their own lives // it's pretty incredible and I highly suggest checking it out here.

Today I thought I'd share 5 of my favorite girl bosses with you. These are women all have very different backgrounds and stories, but have all inspired me in a big, big way. So here we go... Here are a few of my favorite HBIC's:




Audrey Hepburn

It's no secret that I love and admire Audrey Hepburn. girl could rock a high pony and turtleneck combo like no one's business. One of the most appealing things about Audrey has always been her  kind heart and the legacy that she left behind. Yes, the woman had a closet that any girl would die for, but the legacy I'm talking about her isn't how amazing she looked in a LBD, but how she completely immersed herself in the service of others up until the end of her life. Audrey spent much of her later life working with UNICEF in some of the poorest countries in Africa. She even won a Presidential Medal of Freedom for her work right before she passed away. How amazing... to be  that successful and that famous and to choose to give up your lifestyle to go be with those who have nothing...a true icon. I also read in a book once that she ate pasta once a day (disclaimer: I'm not entirely sure just how true this is, but I like to imagine it to be a fact.)

Tina Fey & Amy Poehler



This list would not be complete without this duo. Forget Taylor Swift's girl gang, this is #squadgoals. Not only are these two accomplished actresses and comedians, they are also two of the most influential and intelligent women around. Between Tina writing (and co-starring in) Mean Girls and Amy's #SmartGirls red carpet and social media campaign, these two are changing the way the world views women in comedy, an industry that until recently was predominantly made up of men. If anyone ever tries to tell you women aren't funny, tell them to watch literally anything these two are a part of. A personal favorite of mine is the SNL skit of Tina as Sarah Palin and Amy as Hillary Clinton .... Also good if you need a good ab workout!! (Sidenote: check otheir books here & here for more badass, LOL, girl power goodness.)


Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG)



image

The OG girl boss. Ruth was once asked when there will be enough women on the Supreme Court, to which she replied: there will be enough women on the Supreme Court when there are 9. Snaps for Ruth, the ultimate badass. I really don't think I need to say anything else. 


 Grace Helbig





Grace is a YouTube star, New York Times Best Seller, and all around comedy genius. Seriously... When I grow up I want to be half as funny as Grace. I've been watching her videos for awhile now and whether she's doing a monthly favorites video or waxing her legs on camera for the very first time, you can guarantee that I am laughing hysterically. Grace is changing the comedy game and I highly suggest that you check out her podcast, "Not Too Deep'" in which she interviews other content creators and asks ridiculously funny questions, or her books Grace's Guide: the Art of Pretending to be a Grown-Up & Grace & Style: the Art of Pretending You Have It, two "self-help" books that are very cheeky and very hilarious. Grace doesn't take herself too seriously and her sense of humor is incredibly refreshing. If you're not gonna read her books, at least watch this video in which she talks about the presidential hopefuls' style (or lack there of). V funny.



That's my list, but I'd LOVE to hear some of yours - Leave me a comment telling me who your favorite #girlboss is!!

Cheers,


No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me a love note!

 
site design by designer blogs